Welcome to the “Getting Started” section of the Research Radiation Safety website. The following links and materials are designed to assist laboratories and Investigators who wish to initiate research with RAM. Please contact the Radiation Safety program at EH&S for additional information or with any questions or concerns.
- Permit/Application to Use RAM – Each laboratory that uses RAM is required to have a permit.
- Entry Survey Process - To ensure that labs are appropriately equipped to work with RAM, a brief “entry survey” must be conducted by the Radiation Safety Office prior to use of radioactive material in a laboratory.
- Signage - Labs which possess and/or use radioactive materials (RAM) are required to post information signs informing workers of their rights and responsibilities, and warning of the hazards of working with RAM.
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) – The use of specific PPE is required when working with RAM. Please click here for more information.
- Procurement of RAM - Instructions on ordering RAM at Columbia.
- Training – All users of RAM are required to undergo training and to maintain their training currency annually. Initial classroom training is required prior to enrollment in the University’s dosimetry program.