ehs logo  

Chemical Shipping Guidelines

Shipments of hazardous materials are regulated by the US Department of Transportation (DOT) as well as the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), if sent by air, and by the International Air Transportation Association (IATA), if sent internationally.  Any students or University employees involved in preparation of materials for shipping, packaging, labeling or handling of such packages, preparing related paperwork, or signing to authorize shipments must undergo specific training and maintain records of this training (i.e.; by printing out a copy the rascal certificate). This training must be refreshed every two years as required by the DOT.

EH&S is available for technical consultation throughout this process.  A Hazardous Materials Shipping Classification Chart is also available to laboratories to aid in determining the necessary steps involved shipping various hazardous materials.   If you are unsure of how to proceed with a shipment, use the Intent to Ship Form to request assistance from EH&S.

Please keep in mind that the tranport of chemicals/misc hazardous materials by any mode of public transportation or personal vehicle- including university shuttle and subways - is strictly prohibited.

Are you shipping a hazardous chemical or hazardous miscellaneous material?

This may include dry ice, magnetized materials, batteries, equipment containing batteries, etc.

Yes No